Sweet Chilli Chicken Noodle Salad
Inspired by Chinese New Year, our YMCA Early Years Catering Team have enjoyed incorporating some new flavours into their meals this week. This Sweet Chilli Chicken Noodle Salad will go down a treat if you are celebrating. Have a go at making it at home and send us some photos!
For the Sweet Chilli Marinade
- 4 red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 40ml white wine vinegar
- 45g brown sugar
For the Chicken
- 300g raw chicken breast or mini chicken breast fillets
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
For the Noodle Salad
- 60g fine egg noodles (dry weight)
- 80g baby spinach
- 50g red bell peppers
- 50g carrots
For the Lime Dressing
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Make the sweet chilli sauce: To a blender, add the chopped chillies, garlic, ginger and white wine vinegar. Blend the ingredients together and then pour the mixture into a saucepan with the brown sugar. On a low heat let the mixture simmer until the sauce becomes syrupy. Turn the heat off and allow to cool.
- Prepare the chicken: If using fillets, slice the chicken breasts into strips then add the garlic granules and onion granules and stir until combined and fully covering the chicken. Pour the sweet chilli sauce onto the chicken and continue to stir until the chicken is fully covered in the sauce then refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Cook the chicken: Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/400oF/200oC. Place the chicken onto a baking tray and bake the chicken for 15 – 20 minute or until thoroughly cooked through. While the chicken is in the oven, fill a pot with water and bring to a boil on a high heat. Once the water is boiling add the noodles and cook according to instructions. (usually around 4 minutes). Strain the noodles and set aside to cool.
- Make the salad: While the chicken and noodles are both cooling, you can prepare the salad. Wash and chop the baby spinach. Slice the red bell peppers and thinly slice the carrots into thin strips (you can use a julienne peeler).
- Assemble the salad: Time to put the salad together. To a pasta bowl add the noodles and lay the spinach on top. Add the red bell peppers and carrots then arrange the sweet chilli chicken in the bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour a tablespoon full over the salad.