Online safety tips for young people
- Don’t befriend people you don’t know
- Remember people are not always who they say they are
- Don’t meet up with people you only know from online
- Don’t share any passwords, phone numbers, addresses or name of your school to anyone
- Don’t download or install anything you are unsure of
- Think carefully before posting videos of yourself or others.
- Keep your privacy setting as high as possible.
- Respect other people’s views, even if you don’t agree with them.
- If you see something that makes you feel uncomfortable – report it.
- If you are worried or unsafe, leave the online space and tell a trusted adult for advice.
Take a break! The HSE suggests a 5-10 minutes break after an hour of screen time.