Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
Try out June’s YMCA Early Years recipe of the month, and make this lovely sweet potato and chickpea curry. It is the perfect meal to have for dinner or lunch and is a true favourite amongst our children in early years.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, cut into roughly 2 cm chunks
- 2 medium white onions, finely chopped
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic or 2 tsp of ready chopped garlic/garlic paste
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp mild madras curry powder
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Fry off the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of oil in a pan until translucent, about 5 minutes, add the chopped peppers and fry off for another 5 minutes. Add the sweet potato and cook for a further 5 minutes and then add in the drained chickpeas.
- Add the crushed vegetable stock cube, the turmeric, curry powder, smoked paprika, coriander and cumin and tomato paste to the pan, stir to make sure the tomato paste is fully mixed in, then pour in the coconut milk.
- Cook this until the sweet potato is soft and the sauce has thickened up. If you feel the sauce is too watery add some more tomato paste. Similarly, if you find the sauce too thick, add a splash of boiling kettle water.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve up with some rice.
To find out more about YMCA Early Years, please Click here